Do Expectant Dad’s Need to Attend Hypnobirthing Classes?
When women enquire about hypnobirthing classes it is often the case that they’ve heard about the hypnobirthing option. Expectant Dad’s may have never heard of it and will often think that their pregnant parter is going to be hypnotised! A question regularly asked is ‘does my partner need to attend hypnobirthing classes?’. Dad’s may be reluctant to attend another ‘pregnancy’ course or a course that appears to be around hypnotism.
I would always encourage Dad’s to attend as well as Mum or of course your birthing partner if this isn’t Dad. Hypobirthing isn’t only beneficial to Mum to be in a relaxed, fearless mindset. It’s amazing for Dad’s as they feel they have a key role. Hypnobirthing teaches fathers about the workings of the female body when its birthing. They then understand how it can work so much more effectively if we work with it. Teaching them how fundamental their role is during the labour process. Working with Mum during those early stages of labour right through to the end.
Dad’s are filled with horror stories just like women are. Their thoughts around labour can be very negative. Its wonderful when I work with expectant parents and Dad’s feels so much more enlightened after the first session. During taster sessions that I host it’s refreshing at the end of the session when i then hear Dad’s talk about birth in a far more natural way. Understanding that as well as the medicinal pain relief there are other options to aid a more natural birth if Mum wants that. Water birth is a very typical one that Dad’s often feel is a great option.
How is hypnobirthing beneficial for Dad’s to be?
Hypnobirthing isn’t just about Mum the benefits are for all involved – Mum, Dad and baby. Some of the key elements for Dad’s are:
- Understanding they play a key role and aren’t a spare part during labour as they don’t know what is going on
- A natural instinct to protect and understanding that a man’s hormones adapt to this role during birth
- They can be the protector of space and the voice for Mum during labour
- Asking questions and being able to make informed decisions having the knowledge from hypnobirthing
- Understanding how the vital hormone, Oxytocin can be encouraged to birth a baby
- Keeping Mum calm and relaxed to encourage the Oxytocin hormone to work effectively
- Able to use the massage and stroking techniques to keep Mum relaxed
- Ensuring Mum is hydrated and keep her energy levels up
- Learning about the golden hour and how important that hour is for them too
Many Dad’s instantly find a connection with hypnobirthing when I liken it to sports. If they play sports themselves they understand the training that takes place for example to run a marathon. How we train our bodies to perform, work with the necessary hormones and respond to our bodies needs really resonates with them. Understanding the mental ability of the mind and body connection that you need in sport. Hypnobirthing works on the same principles. Its about practice, training the body for the ‘marathon’ it will undertake when birthing a baby and trusting where the mind leads the body will follow. I’ve worked with many Dad’s who do or have participated in team sports and this comparison helps them to understand the principles of hypnobirthing. They often also become very engaged at this stage when they have a good understanding.
Looking to book a hypnobirthing course?
I offer hypnobirthing classes in Twickenham, Richmond, Kingston and surrounding areas in London. So to find out more about hypnobirthing or to book your hypnobirthing classes get in touch – i’d love to hear from you.